Monday, May 4, 2015

Locals (3)

The character of Olomouc is really unlike any other city that I have been to.  The people here for the most part are really nice, and the ones that speak English are even nicer. Most of the people are really helpful; however, at times the language barrier can be really frustrating to deal with.  However, it is usually possible to communicate main ideas to people who speak little to no English with a little bit of time and patience.  Most food establishments usually have at least one employee who is fluent in English, and many places have English menus.  Like I said, for the most part people seem really nice, but it can be difficult to really have a conversation with most Czech people as most only speak basic English.  It's also been kind of hard to meet Czech students and Czech people in general.  We live in the multicultural dorms, where none of the students are Czech. There are people from literally all over the world that stay in our dorms, but no Czech students live here.  It's also kind of challenging to meet new people because of how much we traveling that we do.  However, I have met a few really nice Czech people, and even got invited to a house warming party this month from a couple of students that I have met.
Like I said earlier, MOST of the people here in Olomouc that I have talked to are really nice; however, no place in the world is completely perfect, and Olomouc is no exception.  There have been a couple of instances in which I had to deal with some pretty rude people, which is to be expected anywhere you go.  Surprisingly enough though, nearly every time that I have had to deal with someone rude it is usually always an employee at Globus, the Czech version of Wal-Mart.  I posted in an earlier blog about one of the encounters that I had with a cashier who tried confiscating my credit card, which was by far the worst encounter that I have had here.  I had another bad encounter with the cashier while I was there today, and thankfully I had my card signed this time because she was really double checking the signature on my card versus the one on the receipt.  They mean business there when it comes to credit card theft/fraud I guess!  Overall the character of Olomouc is a friendly small city with very nice and helpful people, but like everything else in life, it does have its imperfections.  I really do hope that someday I will be able to return to this friendly city that I currently am calling home.   


No comments:

Post a Comment